Monday, February 21, 2011

Research Travel Grant to France

The past week has been a flurry of activity.  I received the good news that I was being awarded a travel grant through VCU School of the Arts Graduate program.  In less than three weeks I will be traveling to La Tourette, a monastery in France, designed by Le Corbusier.  This building is the main architectural precedent for my thesis research!  I plan to arrive at the convent and stay two nights in hopes of absorbing as much of the "feel" of the space as possible.  I will also be traveling to Basel, Switzerland to visit the Vitra Museum.  Here there are projects by Frank Gehry, Nicholas Grimshaw, Zaha Hadid, Tadao Ando, Alvaro Siza, Herzog & De Meuron and Sanaa.  This trip should be a remarkable experience, enhancing my understanding and experience of design in so many ways!  Below is an image of a poster I presented at the Virginia Counsel of Graduate Students 2011 Research Forum.  It gives an overview of my research and why a visit to La Tourette is essential.






Exterior image of La Tourette taken by elyullo retrieved from Flickr Creative Commons.


Interior image of altars taken by Pieter Morlion retrieved from Flickr Creative Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment